Pages

Tuesday 3 October 2017

Eleven words that will eliminate procrastination

DoItRight_485.jpg
Do you ever sit staring at your computer screen with glazed eyes? Not knowing where to start or what to do next? Overwhelmed by how much you need to do and surrounded by distractions? You think about starting to do something… then you spot an unopened envelope, a new email, anything to avoid the task at hand. Once you open that email you are lead into a world of further distractions. Then you need a coffee, and a visit to the toilet, a chat on your mobile. Half the day has gone and nothing is done. Strangely, the more you need to do the more you procrastinate and the less you get done!
So, maybe like me you have a ‘To Do’ list. Even though you prioritise and set off on your first task… you immediately get distracted. Someone interrupts or you see an easier task than the one you are trying to work on. Another unproductive, muddle of a day!
Here’s what my coach taught me (yes I have a coach). The answer to eliminating procrastination is as follows:
The Rule Of 632
This simple rule really works. It is six words, followed by three words, followed by two words. And those words are:
Do One Thing At A Time
Do It Right
Finish It
Now that makes common sense. But as we know, common sense is not common practice. Try this… Print the words out on a sheet of A4 and stick it somewhere you can see it clearly from your desk. It really keeps you focused.
My Own Case Study
Yesterday I was preparing my VAT return. A horrible, fiddly job that usually takes me at least seven or eight hours of serious concentration. It has to be correct and it has to be submitted on time. During the day, on at least 20 occasions, my will power failed and I caught myself looking around for something easier to do. Each time I looked up at The Rule Of 632, it reminded me to continue with my VAT return.
Finally the job was done. I sat back and relaxed and looked at the poster one more time. Then I realised the job wasn’t actually finished. The final part of the rule is ‘Finish It’. I attached the spreadsheet to an email and sent it to my Accountant. Job done in five hours instead of eight.
Try it, it works.

By Andrew Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment